I didn't choose Betty. She chose me.

I didn't choose Betty. She chose me.
The Betty Crocker Kitchens 1940

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

In lieu of getting a tattoo...Happy Mother's Day to anyone who mothers anyone or anything.

And to my own mother, Alice Lucy Springer Marks - a woman who could give Betty Crocker a run for her money - I want to share a few words of wisdom that you have imparted upon me. These words have profoundly shaped me and I thank you for that.  Two of my favorites:

I was nine years old and unbelievably seriously about everything. I told you how I was unfairly treated by a neighbor girl and I was crushed that I thought of a good retort... the next day. Sympathetically, yet almost laughing, you told me, "Is that the worst? Oh well, life is full of 'I should of's." Boy, you're weren't kidding. I can't tell you how many times your words helped me let go.

Another thing that you said that rings in my ears happened when I was 18 or 19. I thought you went overboard with decorating for some minor holiday (I think it was Flag Day) and I didn't hesitate to tell you so. You shrugged and smiled and said, "There's so much sadness in this world, I'll take any opportunity to celebrate." At that moment, I was struck by how wise you are.

On this day, Mother's Day, even though your kids are far away, I know you are celebrating in style.

No comments: