I didn't choose Betty. She chose me.

I didn't choose Betty. She chose me.
The Betty Crocker Kitchens 1940

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Just when I thought Betty Crocker didn't live here anymore...

I spent seven years of my life devoted to Betty Crocker - researching, writing, interviewing, baking, looking for her - in a sense. Sometimes I was even heartbroken in the process.

I wanted to so much to tell the story about the mythical side of Betty - the archetypal need she filled in so many people's lives. Like the Greek Goddess, Hestia - Keeper of the Hearth and Home. But my lofty connections didn't fly with my publisher, nor academia, nor did it really fly in my film. (Although I blame lack of funding on why it didn't fly in the film)

I let it go. I moved on. Started new projects. I declined some speaking engagements, pulled my website, failed to mention my "involvement" in Betty Crocker when I met new people - even when I had a freelance writing/producing gig at the Betty Crocker Kitchens last year.

But suddenly, a few months ago, Betty Crocker found me. Emails started pouring in, people want to talk about Betty Crocker, read the book, see the film, connect with something...

Honestly, I believe it has nothing to do with branding, marketing, cake mixes, etc. I think Betty's mystique was set in motion back in the 1920s. She (through her staff) was there for people during the uncertain times of the 1930s and 1940s. (See the letters in my book) And now, in these uncertain times, people are looking again to that comforting figure - not the corporate version of Betty, but the Betty of the past - the Betty that meant something to their mothers, and grandmothers.

It's too early to go public, but this renewed interest in the mystique of Betty Crocker has granted me the opportunity to finally tell the story I've always wanted to tell.

Thanks everyone, for telling me your personal stories about Betty! Have a beautiful weekend.

No comments: