I didn't choose Betty. She chose me.

I didn't choose Betty. She chose me.
The Betty Crocker Kitchens 1940

Friday, April 10, 2009

Betty Crocker Would Approve


Anyone who knows me knows that I'm crazy for cake. And I'm clearly not alone.

Recently, I tried researched several recipes for Red Velvet Cake before I found one I could modify just so. The result was a moist, tasty, light cake that got rave reviews. And as you experienced cake bakers know - Red Velvet Cake be tricky!

Frankly, I was kind of shocked that I would have such good luck with an experiment "from scratch" cake, but that's the thing about cake, it always keeps you guessing, and more often than not, it's a pleasant surprise. That's why I'm so excited to read Leslie F. Miller's new book, Let Me Eat Cake: A Celebration of Flour, Sugar, Butter, Eggs, Vanilla, Baking Powder, and a Pinch of Salt.

Pick up a copy and let me know what you think! And while we are on the subject of cake, what's your favorite cake to make? What about boxed cakes mixes? Friend or foe? I have a few stories to tell about cake mixes and "canned frosting"...for another day, another blog.

Happy Easter and Passover!

No comments: